Here’s a list of the seven highest-rated models, including a short description, plus some pros and cons for each trimmer. If you have thicker, older hedges, you need to own one of the best electric hedge trimmers for thick branches. Electric hedge trimmers are a perfect tool to keep the shrubs and bushes on your property looking in top shape. However, sometimes as your hedges mature, the branches become thicker and more difficult to cut with trimmers.
7. Earthwise HT10017 17-inch 2.8-Amp Corded Electric Hedge Trimmer
The first choice for the best electric hedge trimmer for thick branches has a full 17-inch bar, powered by a 2.8-amp motor. The Earthwise trimmer gives you the control to sculpt ornaments plus the power to cut through the thickest branches.
- The Earthwise HT10017 17-inch 2.8-Amp Corded Electric Hedge Trimmer has a molded handle with a padded front handle for comfort and control.
- The 17-inch blade is made using hardened steel and cuts at an amazing 3,700 strokes per minute.
- There is an aluminum blade support for added durability.
- The trigger button and safety lock are somewhat difficult to access. Therefore, your wrist will be at a slightly bent angle when flat-topping a long hedge.
6. Remington RM4522TH 4.5-Amp 22-Inch Electric Hedge Trimmer With Titanium Blades
The next option for the electric hedge trimmers for thick branches has a full 22-inch cutting bar. It has titanium blades, so it stays sharp longer. This trimmer is rated to cut limbs up to ¾ of an inch thick.
- The titanium blades have an outstanding durability rating. They hold their sharpness and will not corrode.
- This trimmer is an in-line design with a full handle that allows you flexible wrist positioning for difficult cutting angles.
- The Remington RM4522TH 4.5-Amp 22-Inch Electric Hedge Trimmer is lightweight and evenly balanced.
- It is difficult to find replacement parts for Remington hedge trimmers.
5. Makita UH6570 25″ Electric Hedge Trimmer
Makita is a well-respected maker of quality tools and lawn equipment. Their 25-inch electric hedge trimmer is powerful and reliably durable. Of all the recommended models, this has the longest bar length.
- The Makita UH6570 25″ Electric Hedge Trimmer has a very low motor noise output, so it’s quiet to operate.
- There is an additional two-hand safety feature that will shut the trimmer off, if you lose contact with either hand.
- This trimmer carries Makita’s full one-year product warranty and a 30-day money back guarantee if you’re not satisfied with the trimmer.
- While this is a very highly rated and durable hedge trimmer, it is the most expensive model on your list of the best electric hedge trimmer for thick branches.
4. Sun Joe HJ22HTE 22-Inch 3.5 Amp Electric Hedge Trimmer
Sun Joe yard tools have an average to good quality rating, but the price is always appealing. This is a reliable trimmer with an added safety feature to help eliminate accidental starting of the trimmer.
- The blade on the Sun Joe HJ22HTE 22-Inch 3.5 Amp Electric Hedge Trimmer is of pre-hardened steel and is coated for rust protection.
- This trimmer has a full, two-year warranty
- There is also the Hedger Joe double handle safety mechanism to prevent accidents.
- The bar on the Sun Joe trimmer is slightly longer than the cutting bar. As a result, it is difficult to trim hedges that flush up against a wall or fence.
3. Greenworks 22-Inch 4-Amp Corded Hedge Trimmer 2200102
Greenworks makes a number of corded and battery-powered hedge trimmers. Model 2200102 is a large, 4-Amp trimmer with the power to gnaw into those thick, heavy branches.
- This trimmer has a full-size bar with a 9/16-inch cutting diameter to handle those thick branches on your mature bushes and shrubs.
- The Greenworks 22-Inch 4-Amp Corded Hedge Trimmer 2200102 has a special cord lock. Therefore, you don’t have to worry about your trimmer coming unplugged from the extension cord.
- Greenworks has one of the best warranty programs in the yard tool industry, providing a full, four-year warranty on their line of trimmers.
- The power weakens when cutting through extra thick branches, unlike some of the other choices for the best electric hedge trimmer for thick branches.
2. BLACK+DECKER BEHT100 Hedge Trimmer
The next model for the best electric hedge trimmer for thick branches has the Black+Decker dual action bar design. This helps reduce the vibration on your arms while trimming. The product is backed by Black+Decker’s two-year limited product warranty.
- The BLACK+DECKER BEHT100 Hedge Trimmer is a lightweight option that will still cut through branches over ½-inch thick.
- This trimmer has an extra long trigger so you can move your hand around the handle and not lose power.
- The bar is made of hardened, dual-action steel to help reduce the cutting vibration.
- While this trimmer will handle the thicker branches on most bushes, it does have the shortest cutting bar and lowest amp motor of the options on your list.
1. GARCARE 4.2-Amp Corded Hedge Trimmer
The top-rated choice for the best electric hedge trimmer for thick branches is by GARCARE. It uses a patented laser cutting blade to hack through branches up to 5/8-inch thick. It’s lightweight as well, making it great for sculpting ornamentals or leveling long border hedges.
- This trimmer uses metal gears inside the power source for dependable and reliable cutting.
- The GARCARE 4.2-Amp Corded Hedge Trimmer requires both hands to be on one or both of the handles. Otherwise, the bar will shut off to prevent accidental injury.
- The laser cutting edge gives a smoother cut across the thicker hedges and branches.
- While problems are rare, there isn’t a well-defined place to get customer service or order replacement parts.
These are the seven most reliable choices for the best electric hedge trimmer for thick branches. Each is rated to cut through at least a ½-inch thick branch. If you’ve used any of these hedge trimmers, tell us about your experience!